sirius

Romance and other things

Enjoyable surprise

Binary Witness (The Amy Lane Mysteries) - Rosie Claverton

Book one of The Amy Lane Mysteries

Police detectives rely on Amy Lane to track the digital debris of their most elusive criminals—when she's not in the throes of a panic attack. After two students disappear in Cardiff, Amy uncovers photographic evidence that they've been murdered. From the safety of her computer, she looks through the city's digital eyes to trace the steps of a killer.

Amy's investigation requires footwork, however, and the agoraphobic genius can't hack it alone. She turns to her newly-hired cleaner, ex-con Jason Carr. Jason is fascinated by both Amy and the work, and can't refuse even when she sends him into situations that risk returning him to prison.

The killer strikes again and again, and Amy and Jason are the only investigators closing in on him. But Amy's psyche is cracking under the strain, and Jason's past is catching up with him. To stop the next murder, they must hold their unconventional partnership together at any cost.

78,000 words

Review:

Word of caution - this is a mystery NOT romance, not even a little bit. Having said that, author supposedly promised a little bit of romance between two main characters in the next books - do not know, do not really care, but if you do, proceed at your own risk. I have a habit of warning purely romance readers if the book does not have it in my reviews :-).

I really liked it and I do not care for serial killers - I will put up with them sometimes if I really liked main characters and  my goodness I loved Amy and Jason. Amy certainly is not the first agarophobic (have a feeling that I butchered the spelling) character I read about, but she is one of the most believable ones from the outsider POV and one of the most endearing to me. She is brilliant with computers and I am very stupid with computers, so that's another reason I loved her, but because I am very stupid with the computers I have no idea whether the computer stuff is correct or not.

Jason is just so very decent guy and loyal despite being an ex-con. It was a joy to watch how their friendship slowly grew throughout the book.

I am sure you also noticed that in a sense this is a contemporary twist on Nero Woolf and Archie Goodwin, but only in a sense that Amy can't/ does not want to leave her home and does most investigations home bound and Jason now does her leg work.

I thought the mystery was solid in a not flashy way, but beware we are treated to several chapters from killer's POW necessary but ewwwwww.