sirius

Romance and other things

SPOILER ALERT!

Great fun but

The Unwanted - Jeffrey Ricker

Jamie Thomas has enough trouble on his hands trying to get through junior year of high school without being pulverized by Billy Stratton, his bully and tormentor. But the mother he was always told was dead is actually alive—and she's an Amazon! Sixteen years after she left him on his father's doorstep, she's back—and needs Jamie's help. A curse has caused the ancient tribe of warrior women to give birth to nothing but boys, dooming them to extinction—until prophecy reveals that salvation lies with one of the offspring they abandoned. Putting his life on the line, Jamie must find the courage to confront the wrath of an angry god to save a society that rejected him.

Fun, entertaining YA fantasy with romance lite between two quite likeable teens with smart use of Greek mythology, but let me  just go cry in the corner about the ending :(

UPDATE REVIEW.

So this is what I call a "Chosen" one subgenre of YA  and now when I cried in the corner, I want to talk a little bit more about it. I thought overall it was really good - fast moving and entertaining and it had plenty of my beloved Greek mythology themes with some gay romance lite thrown in.

Jamie is just such a likable sweet character who gets thrown in the unusual circumstances. You know - usual boy in the unusual settings. Jamie is having a problem with a boy in his school, who bullies him (but has a change of heart pretty early in the beginning and we also  learn that this boy is a gay pretty early in the story. Whether his fast turnaround will work for you or not, I do not know, for me it did. It worked because turnaround was to make them friends, not to make them super fast lovers at all.

Jamie and Billy learn that they are connected to the world of Amazons and as blurb tells you Jamie may end up being a child of Prophecy and savings Amazons, apparently his mom is an Amazon too ( Amazons live in their city for centuries, but adapted some very modern technology too - don't ask :))

Add Cerberus, Ares, Aphena and her owl to the mix, some really fast pacing action, interesting *involved* parental figures and you get a really enjoyable story.

The ending is *at most* bittersweet though, beware . It is very fitting because you know how most Greek Heroes end up and they are together, but I still cried.