sirius

Romance and other things

SPOILER ALERT!

Normal enough by Marie Sexton

When Brandon Kenner shows up at Kasey Ralston’s garage with a 1970 Chevelle SS 454, Kasey is smitten by both the man and his car. But Kasey is a mechanic with a shameful secret. He has a fondness for old muscle cars, a fondness that goes far beyond what most people would consider normal. So between what Kasey considers a disgraceful fetish and his long estrangement from his family, he finds it easiest to be alone, even distancing himself from his coworkers.

But it doesn’t take Brandon long to guess Kasey’s secret, and he doesn’t think the sexy mechanic’s fetish is weird. In fact, he likes it, and he makes no secret of his intentions to seduce the man.

Kasey doesn’t know how to resist someone as charming as Brandon, and he’s more than willing to be seduced. But what are Brandon’s long-term intentions? Kasey is afraid of hoping too much, but equally afraid that when all is said and done, Brandon will leave, and Kasey will be left alone once again. Can Kasey be normal enough for a relationship with Brandon, despite his fetish?

Review:

I was really excited when I saw that Marie Sexton published a new story. I was in fact so excited that despite not seeing the book on Amazon yet I bought it from the publisher - hence no cover.

This turned out to be sweet but kind of weird little story (publisher actually lists the length as 24k novella).  Blurb is pretty much tells you the story. I really liked the writing, liked the awkward, but sweet chemistry between Brandon and Kasey. Really liked how the writer clearly showed that Kasey's trying to communicate more with people may have been triggered by Brandon showing up in the garage, but that he was determined that his lonely days were over regardless of whether Brandon stays with him or goes, I thought it was nicely done.

What made this story weird for me was Kasey's "fetish". I put the spoiler sign, but I did it just in case because I really do think that blurb says it all. Although I definitely put more details in.

Kasey you see gets turned on by old muscle cars. Now, let me stress this because Kasey does - he does not want to fuck the car or marry the car (good thing right? Because yeah if he was, in case that was real life and the guy was a friend, I may have gently suggested therapy - just because I would like for a friend to be with somebody alive, you know?). But really - whatever floats his boat, however Kasey just likes to sit in those cars - he is really good with cars, he is a mechanic after all and think about sex with guys and masturbate or have sex with a partner.

Now I do not claim personal familiarity with the kinky, seriously I am quite boring that way, but unless I totally misunderstood what fetish really means from reading romance novels ;)) (and truly, I do not claim to understand all fetish see above), what exactly is the "abnormality" here?

So that's his favorite sex inducing place, so effing what? Now I at first thought that the story is about sweet shy  guy who imagined in his head that he is not "normal enough" and here is the guy comes along who whether he will be forever or not, helps him to realize that he is quite "normal" whatever normal means.

But then my lasting impression was that yes, author wanted me to believe that Kasey had the "fetish", because Brandon definitely likes him the way he is, but he seem to think that his "fetish" is hot too. And I ask again, what fetish? Just feel like I am missing something here.

Otherwise I thought it was well done, and HFN ending was very fitting.