sirius

Romance and other things

Changing Planes - Karenna Colcroft I RECEIVED A REVIEWING COPY OF THIS BOOK FROM THE PUBLISHER.

REVIEW CONTAINS THAT SOME MAY CONSIDER SPOILERS BEWARE.

I was really impressed by the main character of this story - it was nice to read about the guy who is truly bisexual, meaning that once he is attracted to the guy, his attraction to the women is not forgotten. Not in a sense that he cannot decide whom he wants of course, but in a sense that it is respected and he does not magically becomes "gay for you" (I really reached my tolerance for magic varieties of this trope).

I was pleased that for once his fiance turned to be bisexual as well, and writer respected that too and did not demonize Sophia as well, instead portraying her as a real person, who was just as confused as Oliver was, but just as deserving happiness as Oliver was. I liked how that was handled.

I know a lot (or some, not sure, really do not have statistics) mm readers do not like het sex in their stories. I am not one of those readers. I do not want my mm story turn into m/f one, but I have zero problem with m/f sex scene in the story per se. I am sure you will not think of it as a spoiler (considering that Oliver was about to get married to his fiance) if I will tell you that there is one sex scene between them shown in the book. Unfortunately, while I just said I have no problem with m/f sex scenes per se, I thought this one was put there in awkward place and awkward time and I am not sure what was the point of it, how it advanced the plot, etc. I suppose if the purpose was to show that they were still both confused about what they are doing at that point in their lifes, it made some sense. Otherwise I have no idea.

But what about Oliver and Colin, ehhhh, it starts awesome, I wish more stories showed us one guy being attracted to each other because of his sense of humour. I really liked that. I also really liked that they decided to get to know each other because of their circumstances before doing anything in bed and doing other declarations. In this story it made sense.

Unfortunately while I felt that author did everything right, she lost me with them getting to know each other and then doing long and sexy weekend. I just felt as if chemistry between them was lost while the story was progressing.

While relationship between Oliver and Sophia was not going anywhere, I felt like interactions between them were better written. Obviously it is just one reader's opinion.