sirius

Romance and other things

Sky Runners - Fae Sutherland REVIEW WAS ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED AT THE REVIEWS BY JESSEWAVE WHERE I RECEIVED THE BOOK AS FREE REVIEWING COPY

I reviewed the first book in this series “Sky Riders” here, and sadly just as I predicted I did not remember almost anything about it before I started reading the second book. Unfortunately it only has been several days since I read the second book, but I already can see that it will not stay with me for long time either. I am sad about it, really. I love scifi and fantasy and while I want to like every book I get for review, I have a very soft spot for those genres (and historicals, and mysteries :) ).

The book is well written and well edited, and there is really nothing wrong with it. I mean, I wish the author would explored the world building and space opera aspect of it in much more depth, but I already saw that world building was mostly a window dressing for romance in book one and IMO the trend continues in this book. I could have ignored it if I was completely happy with a development of the romance, unfortunately I had issues with the characters and developing of their relationship as well.

Killian and Neith are both likeable guys. The attraction between them flares very fast, and while I appreciated that it was partially due to the drugs’ in Neith’s system, I still thought that it was painfully obvious that most of it was real and all Neith’s hesitation was not making me hesitate as a reader if that makes sense. Bottom line – I wanted their relationship to develop slower than it was developing. I was happy that while I was worried that Neith was going to be a character who constantly needed saving, he showed a backbone and a strong one closer to the end of the story. I really respected that. Unfortunately there is really not much I can tell you about Killian besides the fact that he was a good, honorable, decent guy. As I said before, unfortunately I do not think of him as a very memorable character.

The couple from the first book is taking some part in the action, because one of the guys is the captain of their ship, so it would be hard for them not to, but their relationship is not tested any longer, which made perfect sense since they already had their book.

I hope other readers will like this book better than I did.