sirius

Romance and other things

SPOILER ALERT!

Enjoyable

Trustworthy - Astrid Amara

Ten years ago, lovers and best friends Ivo Toreli and Robert Mackenzie were separated by death. But sometimes life gives you second chances. Life...and a lot of cybernetic enhancements. Trust Agent 505 may not remember who he was before he worked security for Trust Insurance, but now his prisoner thinks he knows him. This revolutionary named “Mack,” who has stolen one of Trust’s prized possessions, seems to think Agent 505 is named “Ivo,” someone from his past. Someone he once loved more than anyone on any of the inhabited worlds. Ivo doesn’t remember any of it, of course. But if he’s going to get Trust’s property back from the revolutionaries, he’s going to have to play along. And if playing along also means sleeping with a handsome, humorous, and slightly dangerous ex-soldier, all the better, right?

Review:

Dear Astrid Amara,

I am always looking forward to a new story from you, but when I heard that this one is going to be a sequel to your earlier book “A policy of lies” which I believe was published in 2008 I was a little disappointed, because I could not finish “A policy of lies” years ago and when I tried to read it now, all I managed is to skim it. It was not horrible by all means, but it just paled for me in comparison with some of your other books.

I did not feel that I was confused though, so I think the readers could easily read this book without reading the first one. It takes place in the same world, and we do get to meet the couple from the first book briefly at the end, but the events in “Trustworthy” are taking place twenty years later and those events could be easily understood on its own.

Blurb describes the set up very well. Two boys had been friends with each other since they met when they were six or seven in the orphanage, grew up together, joined the Army together and we meet them in the prologue of the story when they are both twenty five (actually I am not hundred percent sure if both of them are twenty five, Mack could have been same age or couple years older) and their unit is assigned to fight unexpected raid of revolutionaries. Ivo dies during that assignment and then the next chapter opens up with the “ten years later” note.

Now the prologue took maybe fifteen percent of the story on my kindle and I am a little torn about what the author was trying to do here (as I understand). Basically Ivo narrates the whole story and in the prologue he is still Ivo, he is still in full control of his memory and amongst other things we are supposed to see how much these guys are in love with each other. From the blurb we know that major part of the story is about Ivo actually not remembering the love of his life for some very good reasons and then eventually reuniting with him after all the action took place. Of course in the prologue the reader should see their love so it would be all the more painful to watch Ivo struggling after all that time.

So initially I was not sure how much of their love I *saw*. I sympathized with Ivo right away, clearly the guy had a hard life and he was supposedly having a deep and powerful connection with his best friend. I saw Ivo’s love pretty fast; I just did not see the connection just yet.

"When we finished our burritos and Mack got up to use the restroom, I went ahead and ordered him a flan because I knew he’d want one. I paid for our meal before he could protest, because he spent his credits on osys upgrades, virchworlds, books, instruments, gadgets, whereas I saved every penny so I could buy Mack shit. When Mack came back to the table, the bill paid for, the flan, and sugary Mexican coffee awaiting him, his look of boyish delight melted my heart.”

When the story picks up ten years later, Mack and Ivo are on the different sides of the barricades. Actually Ivo is not even aware that he is Ivo anymore. He works for “Trust Insurance” company and he is an agent 505. When Mack is attacking the train which Ivo and other agent guard because they transport a certain valuable item, Mack does recognize Ivo even if he saw his lover die in front of him, but Ivo has no idea.

The attack unfolded the way that Mack and Ivo are stuck together and going to have to look together for the item. Or to be more precise Ivo took him as a prisoner, but Mack supposedly threw away the item during the attack, but he knows where it is and he can show Ivo and they need to hire a transport and get there together since there is nobody else left to do so.

Mack in the meantime keeps telling Ivo the stories from the life he does not remember, and he does not, but here and there he seems to catch fleeing impressions from the past which disappear frustratingly fast.

Would the men reconnect? Would Ivo remember all that he had lost? Why is he alive when his last words in prologue are him feeling as if his back was breaking? What did Trust do to him and other agents who do not even have their names anymore?  Stay tune to find out!

I want to note that while this book has plenty of action scenes and it is set in science-fiction setting, to me it is first and foremost a romance. Don’t get me wrong, I did not feel that the setting was lacking of anything, I thought the author shared just enough which was needed in order to write a satisfying romance. Just don’t go in expecting hard science fiction, all that I am saying.

Romance was indeed very satisfying for me and despite what I wrote above, I think it is not a spoiler to say that the men do indeed come back to each other, because once again it is Romance. I just realized something – I think it was by design that in the prologue we mostly saw Ivo’s love for Mack because he was a POV character, but even though he remains a POV character throughout the whole book in the rest of the story Mack’s love for him shines through as well.

B+