sirius

Romance and other things

Kudos for creativity thats for sure

The Fifth Season - N.K. Jemisin, Robin Miles

THIS IS THE WAY THE WORLD ENDS. FOR THE LAST TIME.

A season of endings has begun.

It starts with the great red rift across the heart of the world's sole continent, spewing ash that blots out the sun.

It starts with death, with a murdered son and a missing daughter.

It starts with betrayal, and long dormant wounds rising up to fester.

This is the Stillness, a land long familiar with catastrophe, where the power of the earth is wielded as a weapon. And where there is no mercy.

A new fantasy trilogy by Hugo, Nebula & World Fantasy Award nominated author N.K. Jemisin.

Review:

"Fifth Season: An extended winter – lasting at least six months per Imperial designation – triggered by Seismic activity or other large-scale environmental alteration."

"Orogeny: The ability to manipulate thermal, kinetic, and related forms of energy to address seismic events."

I purchased this book when I read the review that one of my DA colleagues did for DA. It sounded right up my alley - fantasy with the setting which seemed original and very creative.

And the setting was that. We are in the post apocalyptic society where the Earth kind of got fed up with the mankind (and God if I were the Earth I would have so been fed up with us in his place  - his because Earth is Father Earth in this book). So Earth is not very stable and seismological problems occur often and that's how seasons change now (or it was my understanding anyway). Enough people were strong enough to survive initial catastrophe and try to continue to do so, but it seems like now we are moving to the real end. Do we?

There is a group of people in this society called Orogenes, who can cause and calm (I think) earthquakes and they are mistreated pretty badly because you know, their abilities if they are untrained can easily kill people, lots of them. Fear, sure, but justified one? You bet, in my book.

Here is for example what one of the main characters can do:

"So she curls the fingers of one hand into a fist, and sears down its throat with her awareness, not burning but cooling, turning its own fury back on it to seal every breach. She forces the growing magma chamber back, back, down, down – and as she does so, she deliberately drags together the strata in overlapping patterns so that each will press down on the one below it and keep the magma down, at least until it finds another, slower way to wend its way to the surface. It’s a delicate sort of operation, for all that it involves millions of tons of rock and the sorts of pressures that force diamonds into existence. But Syenite is a child of the Fulcrum and the Fulcrum has trained her well."

The book did something that no other books that I read ever managed to do. We are hearing about the stories of three women and one is written from second person POV. HATE it, but I could tolerate it in this one - maybe because it is well done PO. It does not start with "You" in every sentence, half of it still written third person present  - weird, but you have to read it to understand.

It is well executed, has couple of twists which I did not quite predicted and first book in the trilogy.

Too bad, I did not like the main characters. At all.

This is a first book in the trilogy.